Quinoa and Cannelini salad
Mix in the following ingredients together in a bowl:
- ½ to 1 cup cooked quinoa
- A handful of mixed salad greens
- Finely sliced purple onion
- 1 chopped tomato
- Finely shredded purple cabbage
- Cucumber julienne
- Cooked organic cannellini beans
- Wedges of avocado
For Mediterranean flavour: Add olives, parsley, basil, coat’s cheese, olive oil and lemon juice.
For Asian Twist: Add peppermint and coriander leaves, watercress, sesame and olive oil, lime
Juice and Chilli flakes.
- Simply rinse one cup quinoa (red or white or a combination) in a fine mesh strainer,
then bring to a simmer in a pot with two cups of water, cover and cook on low heat for
10 to 15 minutes until liquid is absorbed. Presto!
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 2 medium – large eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for cooking
- Sprinkle of nutmeg (optional)
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Stir until well combined.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Mould mixture into medium size balls and press flat into pan.
- Lightly cook until firm on one side, turn and cook the other side.
Thai lime chicken and sesame stir fry
- 180 g chicken (or seafood or tofu)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- ½ cup snow peas
- ½ cup sliced red capsicum
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon lemon/lime juice
- 1 tablespoon organic tamari
- Sauté chicken or alternative with ginger, garlic and organic tamari until cooked but not
- Add vegetables and cook for two to three minutes.
- Sprinkle with almonds before serving
Dress with lemeon juice and sesame oil
Home made hummus
- 450 g cooked chickpeas
- 1½ tablespoons of tahini
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 to 4 tablespoons of lemon juice (to taste)
- A pinch of sea salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin (optional)
- ¼ cup of water (to adjust consistency if required)
- A pinch of ground paprika to serve
- A pinch of cayenne pepper or finely chopped chilli (optional)
- Place cooked chickpeas and tahini into a food processor.
- Add garlic, olive oil, 3 tablespoons of lemon juice, sea salt and cumin (if using). Blend
at a low speed until smooth, scraping down the sides if required to combine thoroughly.
- Gradually add extra water if a smoother consistency is required and more lemon juice
- Spoon into a dish and sprinkle with ground paprika. Cover and refrigerate for the flavours
to combine or until ready to serve.
Variation: Add a pinch of cayenne pepper or finely chopped chilli if a spicier
hommus is desired.
Berry and Quinoa porridge
- ¼ cup of uncooked quinoa flakes
- ¾ cup of unsweetened almond milk
- ½ tablespoon of almonds, chopped
- ½ cup of fresh berries
- A pinch of ground cinnamon to serve
- Soak quinoa flakes with ¼ cup almond milk overnight in the fridge. This speeds up the
cooking time in the morning.
- Add soaked quinoa flakes to a small saucepan with the remaining ½ cup almond milk.
- Heat on low-medium heat until simmering, stirring regularly.
- Cook for approximately 5 to 6 minutes, or until the porridge is thickened, smooth and creamy.
- Serve topped with chopped almonds and your choice of berries.
- Sprinkle with ground cinnamon.
Variations: Use rice milk instead of almond milk if preferred. Add ½ sliced banana or ½
chopped apple instead of berries.